CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it Possible for a System to be too Flexable?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

ThatDamnElf wrote:
Wandering Omen wrote:
The Bubbling Dark wrote:
Wandering Omen wrote:
i have never experienced that with those small numbers before, everytime we got close campain ended or changed to a new one. then we always have a larger group before it gets small, then fades away....

Ah, the ebb and flow of the sea of life... maybe one day we'll get some dedicated players and make it happen.

i can be one, we just need to find the others.

I have next to no life Sad , I can be a dedicated player Very Happy
Though seriously, I'd like to see that we finish this campain we started, then see what happens after that.

My thoughts exactly. Finish the reunion then we get started on the new RP


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
Word!

View user profile
We have options:

A Sword and Sorcery DQ game
Demon Hunters DQ game
Manga d20 game
C&C game

I know that it seems like I don't really care what opinions you guys give but it does, its just that since I ALWAYS have to do all of the planning and writing and posting I think it should be something that I'm eager to run, just sayin'.

Right now I would love to put you guys in a Pre-Apocalypse Demon Hunters environment.


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
The Bubbling Dark wrote:We have options:

A Sword and Sorcery DQ game
Demon Hunters DQ game
Manga d20 game
C&C game

I know that it seems like I don't really care what opinions you guys give but it does, its just that since I ALWAYS have to do all of the planning and writing and posting I think it should be something that I'm eager to run, just sayin'.

Right now I would love to put you guys in a Pre-Apocalypse Demon Hunters environment.


i want to do the manga d20 sytsem but like you said demon hunter it is!

View user profile
Maybe we can do a DQ system with a slight circle jerk. Let me give GMin a try on occasion.

After you start and lay down a firm foundation I can try GMin a coupla sessions to give you a break.

I just need to learn the system better.


How about some Manga in Demon ?Hunters?

View user profile
Wow, somehow Pat aka Ms. magi got what he wanted and went to the BESM d20 system. Sneaky pat. maybe after this season, someone else can GM for a stint before the next seasons starts. Kinda like what we did with the original LoTF.


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
The Bubbling Dark wrote:Wow, somehow Pat aka Ms. magi got what he wanted and went to the BESM d20 system. Sneaky pat. maybe after this season, someone else can GM for a stint before the next seasons starts. Kinda like what we did with the original LoTF.

Oh snap!!! Will the Great Gropmwald, I mean Lem, be coming to the PC side of the dice?

View user profile
Pick A Card wrote:
The Bubbling Dark wrote:Wow, somehow Pat aka Ms. magi got what he wanted and went to the BESM d20 system. Sneaky pat. maybe after this season, someone else can GM for a stint before the next seasons starts. Kinda like what we did with the original LoTF.

Oh snap!!! Will the Great Gropmwald, I mean Lem, be coming to the PC side of the dice?

Gromwald will not walk again but for the right GM a new hero/villain may take his place.


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
The Bubbling Dark wrote:
Pick A Card wrote:
The Bubbling Dark wrote:Wow, somehow Pat aka Ms. magi got what he wanted and went to the BESM d20 system. Sneaky pat. maybe after this season, someone else can GM for a stint before the next seasons starts. Kinda like what we did with the original LoTF.

Oh snap!!! Will the Great Gropmwald, I mean Lem, be coming to the PC side of the dice?

Gromwald will not walk again but for the right GM a new hero/villain may take his place.


Kakaka, really it looks like my time to shine. Drummroll please (drumroll sounds) patrick gladly announces that chad should GM the next session!

View user profile
The MAGI wrote:
The Bubbling Dark wrote:
Pick A Card wrote:
The Bubbling Dark wrote:Wow, somehow Pat aka Ms. magi got what he wanted and went to the BESM d20 system. Sneaky pat. maybe after this season, someone else can GM for a stint before the next seasons starts. Kinda like what we did with the original LoTF.

Oh snap!!! Will the Great Gromwald, I mean Lem, be coming to the PC side of the dice?

Gromwald will not walk again but for the right GM a new hero/villain may take his place.


Kakaka, really it looks like my time to shine. Drummroll please (drumroll sounds) patrick gladly announces that chad should GM the next session!

Lmao, not session. Season


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
I will gladly GM, but my style of minimal combat bores this crowd. Im more into setting up a mood and awarding Mostly Roll playing exp.

What usually happens is that after the second session that adventure ends..

If people are willing to take a step back from a lot of combat; i will be willing to add more combat than i normally do.... a compromise!

Or we can take a season break and play Palladium HEROES for a short stint, then return to BESM

View user profile
Leetin McBeatin wrote:I will gladly GM, but my style of minimal combat bores this crowd. Im more into setting up a mood and awarding Mostly Roll playing exp.

What usually happens is that after the second session that adventure ends..

If people are willing to take a step back from a lot of combat; i will be willing to add more combat than i normally do.... a compromise!

Or we can take a season break and play Palladium HEROES for a short stint, then return to BESM

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I think that Palladium takes far too long in the character creation aspect and we would need to do like a weekend session. In my experience your games drag in Inception part of the process but once the world is established a good time can be had. I remember in the Babylonian Circle Campaign that your sessions were always fun. In those games James and I had already shaped the world and you were able to let The Old Gods in your head have their way.

I say you take a page from my book on 'The Kingdom and The Horn' and 'The Reunion Game'. Make all the preparations on the forum so that we can just jump into the game. (a little bit more action wouldn't hurt either. Very generous of you.)


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
I don't know, personally I would like for us to focus on this campaign. When someone besides Lem DM's we can go off his main branch for the story and do like a side quest or something (not necessarily combat oriented, just couldn't think of a way to word it better). I personally would like this to become our new LotF, that new campaign we always talk about. I definitely hope to make this character better than any previous ones I've made, including that crazy multi-rapid-shot ranger I rolled back in the day. If we were to do an alternate campaign though, I would prefer that it didn't really interfere with this one. But just my opinion.

View user profile
Pick A Card wrote:I don't know, personally I would like for us to focus on this campaign. When someone besides Lem DM's we can go off his main branch for the story and do like a side quest or something (not necessarily combat oriented, just couldn't think of a way to word it better). I personally would like this to become our new LotF, that new campaign we always talk about. I definitely hope to make this character better than any previous ones I've made, including that crazy multi-rapid-shot ranger I rolled back in the day. If we were to do an alternate campaign though, I would prefer that it didn't really interfere with this one. But just my opinion.

... this is why we dont let white people talk in a group. j/k i do want this to become like land of the 4. i hope we can stick to it. However, games only last as long as the dm and players are having fun. So we all have to invest in this game to keep it running

View user profile
Sooo, i can Gm a session or two every now and then to refresh the DM. This would all the same game to grow and give the DM need rest to recharge his brain.

Also, everyone has a chance to Play together and this can possoble be a LoT4

View user profile
I like the idea and once the story starts going the game will be open enough for side adventures that don't ruin the main plot. I can even go back to being miserly with the magic because the other GMs will compensate.


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
The Serpent wrote:D&D has a number of seemingly unnecessary rules but they are designed to keep order.  I agree that any system that dictates a roll is required to determine whether a hostile faction will attack the protagonist is stupid I believe you (Zulu) are over exaggerating the level of constriction other systems force.

True Dragon Quest is just as rules heavy as D&D.  But we don't play True DQ.  We play loose and free with the rulebook and make our own games.  Less rules mean more room for chaos creativity because chaos is creativity.

I agree that there should be less rolls but some players aren't ready for the responsibility of what that implies.  If a roll of the dice isn't there to determine whether you succeed at wooing an attractive female/male NPC then it is all left up to you, the player, acting as you, the character, would act.  This feat of imagination and discipline is easier said than done.  I guess rules help the meek keep pace with the mighty...

So with new blood I can pose the question once more: Is there a such thing as a game being too flexible?


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
The Serpent wrote:So with new blood I can pose the question once more:  Is there a such thing as a game being too flexible?

I think this is a tricky question. I love how open Castles & Crusades is, in that you can make it whatever you want. But I think every game needs some rules. I think if the dungeon master isn't consistent, that it is being too flexible. There should be rules to rolls and what they mean, but I think the world should be flexible and always growing.

View user profile
The Rules are there for a reason it help keep structure the adventure for the players while keeping the Dm in check. Now I don't have a problem with being flexible because most rules are open to interpretation but I do draw the line when the rules are blatantly altered or ignored to help a Dm advance his game or get him/her out of a tight spot.

View user profile
Malevolent Moose wrote:The Rules are there for a reason it help keep structure the adventure for the players while keeping the Dm in check. Now I don't have a problem with being flexible because most rules are open to interpretation  but I do draw the line when the rules are blatantly altered  or ignored to help a Dm advance his game or get him/her out of a tight spot.

Exactly. You said it much better than I did.

View user profile
of course I did............ Razz Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

View user profile
Malevolent Moose wrote:The Rules are there for a reason it help keep structure the adventure for the players while keeping the Dm in check. Now I don't have a problem with being flexible because most rules are open to interpretation  but I do draw the line when the rules are blatantly altered  or ignored to help a Dm advance his game or get him/her out of a tight spot.

I agree that structure is important but I also believe that the rules should never be carved out of adamantium. It is with in the GM's charter to alter or remove the rules if he believes it is necessary but that changing of the rules should be clearly stated to the players and should apply to both sides of the table. Rules should never be altered just to pull the GM's fat out of the fryer. If the players catch you sleeping then they deserve to loot your treasure trove.


_________________
Every great story seems to begin with a snake.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile
(Playing Devil's advocate). I agree to an extent.  The  rules are to be used as a guid not the end all be all.  Plus I disagree with modifying the rules to save a DM's butt.  I will give you an example and Moose will attest to this.  

When it comes to rolling 20's not even on my best day can I beat Moose.  He makes passionate love to his dice, so when it comes to called shots I have to take liberties.  I had a new module we were doing.  I spent!the money for it, spent the time reading it and preparing for it.  The first encounter with the boss during the first session he calls a shot to the head.  Bang the guy is dead not even an hour and a half into the first session.  Now what!  He says that I am limiting him or cheating.  Sometimes I am its true.  I have to do it so I can progress the story.  It's not easy setting up a game only to have it finished an hour into the session.  

The rules are guildes to follow, to structure the gaming world.  It's up to the DM to apply, and allow some flexibility how he sees fit.  Whatever helps the progression of the story.  Yeah I am a dick for no reason that you are aware of but for me its a lot of work ruined because you called a shot.

Here is another example.  In a recent game I was running 2 of the party members fell into a trap which dropped them into a pool of oil.  The boss pulls out a torch, places the flaming end over the rail of the balcony that they were on and was using one finger to keep it from dropping into the oil below.  The guys climed out of the pool went back in, in an attempt to clime out the shaft they fell through, decided that they couldn't or they would be killed, but only one of them actually decided to get out of the pool on a platform.  The fight was supposed to be on the platform so they could get some gear and weapons, but one of them was too busy on the phone or with his other gaming cards that when it was his turn he forced a fight on the balcony forcing me to drop the torch and nearly killing to characters who were paying attention.  I gave them the first shot because not only did they have initiative but I wanted to teach them a lesson.  I should have slain the two guys in the oil pool and killed the guys off in the encounter but I let them get away using a spell I knew that he wasn't supposed to be able to use for another day.  I did it not only to teach them a lesson but because I wanted to progress the story.  

Now to keep the story going I have to make big changes on the fly.  But if I were to follow the rules I would have been forced to kill the whole group.  I have to have a lot of flexibility or the chaotic nature of the players ends the game ealry.  I also now have to exact a consequence for allowing them to escape in a rule breaking way.  

See flexibility tongue



Last edited by Toepoker on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
Shit that was long winded!

View user profile
I think that the DM can have that kind of flexibility, as long as he isn't doing it to hurt the players or pay them back or for selfish reasons, if you understand what I mean. If you have to bend the rules to keep the story going, that is one thing. But if a player pissed you off personally or what have you, and you then bend the rules or cheat the roll to hurt them... that isn't being flexible. That is cheating and being a dickwad.

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum