CnC World War II

Legends and Tales. Songs of Glory and Monuments to Valor. Post it all here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Steam Punk

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Steam Punk on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:23 am

For those of you who are curious on This theme and its influence in the media I added some references and links to images/art on the period:

Media references in film

Fullmetal Alchemist
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
The City of Lost Children (1994)
NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind
Howl's Moving Castle
The Prestige
FInal Fantasy VI
Skies of Arcadia
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Bioshock Series (especially - BioShock Infinite)

Images/Art

http://dawdles-per-day.blogspot.com/2009/07/spectacular-steampunk-art-update-part-2.html

This site is dedicated to Steam Punk, feel free to view all 4 pages:

http://www.nerdcore.de/wp/tag/steampunk/

View user profile

2 Re: Steam Punk on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 am

When we started fleshing out our roles I couldn't stop thinking of Skies of Arcadia. In the game you start out as a younge Air Pirate and you travel the lands collecting supplies and trading. As the game progresses you buy upgrades for your ship and even fight giant monsters in turn based air combat. Story wasn't that great and standard combat became redundant after a while but fighting the Giant grendal was awesome. Airship to Airship was a game of strategy because it took two rounds to reload a cannon and evassive manuevers sometimes left you unable to fire... good times.

Captain Nemo's ship and technology in League of Extraordinary Gentalmen was very Steam punkish, and Howl's Moving Castle is exactly what you're doing a world of steam tech filled with magic. If people actually keep you focused this could be fun.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile

3 Re: Steam Punk on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:02 pm

I looked at those links and got excited. I can see this campaign for its potential and I hope it actually goes some where. What is that era of steam powered engines called so that I can do some research? I think its industrial revolution but I'm not sure...

Pat that's you on the coast of Groopa fishing for parts!

Seaspire Village, also off the coast of Groopa, so many ideas running through my head...

(pics harvested from http://dawdles-per-day.blogspot.com/2009/07/spectacular-steampunk-art-update-part-2.html)

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile

4 Re: Steam Punk on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:49 pm

SeaSpire village (Image) was one of my favorite on that site.

Industrial revolution is exactly the tech level, but they base the design on pre-Victorian.

The clothing and equipment are made by master in their craft. Look at the extra detail in beauty, the etch working in the guns and gear. The pride in construction.

Google (Image) "Steam Punk clothing", you will notice the elegance in the design.

Rugged low tech, but more advanced than conceivable. On the other hand its elegant and stylish. 1800-1900's had a flare for clothing and architecture.

Imaging a Pre WWII stone building in Manhattan they still have the gargoyles and stone masonry that we now neglect...or forgotten?

View user profile

5 Re: Steam Punk on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:50 pm

PAT! NOOO!

View user profile

7 Re: Steam Punk on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Cool site that is running a Steam Punk Campaign. Its a bit more advanced that I would like it, but still interesting:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=62904.0

View user profile

8 Re: Steam Punk on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Here are some helpful Google Images searches: This should get the imaginations flowing

Search Term: steampunk building

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1273&bih=707&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=steampunk+building&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=steampunk+build&gs_rfai=

Search Term: steampunk architecture

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1273&bih=707&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=steampunk+architecture&aq=0&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=steampunk+arc&gs_rfai=

Search Term: steampunk anime

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1273&bih=707&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=steampunk+anime&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=steampunk+a&gs_rfai=

AHHH!!

This is that Anime That I have been talking about!:

Last Exile

http://www.dieselpunks.org/forum/topics/last-exile

Some really good art, it even has a pic of Lem (Fifth image down)

http://www.templates.com/blog/other-side-perception-steampunk/

View user profile

9 Re: Steam Punk on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Our story begins with a little prologue of what led to the parties current situation.

Captains Log 23456; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.

Today was a good day. Our leads finally led us to a graveyard of sorts, only know as the "Sledgeyard". Months of research has paid off and in two days time we should arrive at "Eye of Dawn". If this first clue pans out then our information proves useful.

*Spoken in hush ones as if under his breath*
For Peggy and the childrens' sake please let this pan out....

View user profile

10 Re: Steam Punk on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Captains Log 23457; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.

Another day passes. All of the crews efforts and motivations are steered towards our journey. Engineering with the help of the Technical department has finally built the land rover classified and "Little Sally Boom Boom". Tonight we will take her out for a test ride.

Amendment 1:

Little Sally worked wonderfully, better than I was expecting. Especially in the short time provided for the build.

Amendment 2:

The crew is in good spirits It, I am afraid to speak my doubts. For now they will remain to me.
Why has this information surfaced only now, things are falling in place to easily. This crew has seen the worst and fortunately this is a great distraction from our hard life on the road.

Amendment 3:

I can't sleep, too much to do. I will make my rounds tonight to check in the crew and preparations. Its seems unreal tomorrow we will reach out first marker.

View user profile

11 Re: Steam Punk on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Captains Log 23460; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.

I can't explain what happende....I thin..I thin..I thin....shheaccheaasshhh.....beep...beep...beeppppppppp.

Captains Log 23460; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.
Amendment 1:

It is still happening, I hope this ....smission makes back in ..me. Tell my family I di. .. all for them. We might not make it back from this one su..... are ..aded ab.a.. Sall. ..om bo.. She is on a.to pi.. now.

What ever happens ...., this .. . Dire.. Ord..! Leave! ... ..Beep...bee. .... Sksheetfffzztt.

View user profile

12 Re: Steam Punk on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Captains Log 23462; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.

Praise all that I holy! I kiss the ground that we all stand on. From this day forward you will see me in the chapel more often. Our escape was impassible short of a Miracle!

It looks lie everything is clearing up. This lie its not my last transmission. Upon my return to the ship only the survivors of this ordeal will know what truly happened in that abominable place.

Amendment 1:

We are making good time considering that we walk on foot and our survey team is less than half in number. two days time we will be home. How I long to shower and sleep in bed with my lovely wife Jane and son..Jane and son.

Amendment 2:

Captains Log 23463; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.

One more day and we will arrive back home, the moral of the remaining crew are lifting with the hopes of return.

Our four wounded seem to be recovering pretty quick considering the time we were on the road. Ensign Peters is a tuff cookie and will receive a promotion upon our return. Because of his sacrifice we managed to walk away from this with no casualties. It has been lie a long time since we had a total mission success.

Amendment 2:

Captains Log 23464; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.

One more day and we will arrive back home, the moral of the remaining crew are lifting with the hopes of return.

Our supplies are running low from our hunting expedition, but the gazelle should last us until our return.

Amendment 2:

Captains Log 23465; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.

Ensign Peters is acting up, he does not seem himself. We need to keep a closer eye on him. The last thing we need is distention in the ranks. Too bad we are to far from home; his action would earn him a week in the brig. Brig...ohh how I miss my wife Bridgett.

View user profile

13 Re: Steam Punk on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 am

Not really sure what's this for but it has peaked my interest

View user profile

14 Re: Steam Punk on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Captains Log 23468; Benjamin "Crazy" Curtis.

Not sure were we are at the moment, but all seems calm. My best estimate is that we are in the bowels of the cavern.....PAUSE....

........ .... ... .............. .. . .

A woman is crying.
A crew is morning..
A captain went missing...

PEggy! Please, this needs to stop NOW! We can't listen to these any more, we can't! I'm, sorry....we all hiss him too. He was like a father to this crew.

The woman in black fails to respond or even acknowledge the presence in the room. Was someone speaking, no it must have been the passing wind....CLICK...

Not sure were we are at the moment, but all seems calm. My best estimate is that we are in the bowels of the cavern. Rumor has it that these caves once housed an ancient civilization. Rumor has no relevance on my journey, supplies are what we need. No matter how old they are.

I would lie to say for the record that Sargent Ennis scouted ahead with a platoon of 5. His orders were to double back after 2 hours and meet us at the ridge.

How I hoped that the crazy contraption Known as Sally "Boom Boom" was completed in time; this trip would not have been so strenuous on my old bones.

Amendment 1:

That damb fool! how can he double cross us!! 3 hours, 3 HOURRRSss hhmmm....

No mind now, no mind at all.

He will get what is coming to him for betrayal.

Amendment 2:

We traveled all nite and finally found his camp on some strange ridge. The fool thinks that he can .....PAUSE.....

P e g g y, please, you have two kids, and they are looking for their mommy. We can't take this any more, I can't take this any more. We need to move

.....CLICK.....

Hide on me, me of all people. IM THE CAPTAIN!

View user profile

15 Re: Steam Punk on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Holy Cow, Captain Benjamin Curtis is a certifiable lunatic... sounds like he and his crew, behind all of his madness, are in a very bad spot. I hope Peggy and the kids can cope.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile

16 Re: Steam Punk on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:38 pm

In the dark corner of this cold steel room resides a steady shape, its movements match those of a heartbeat. Her formless presence only gets smaller as time pass's.
A sound, or was it the wind, yes, yes, its the wind. Nothing exists in this place no one is left.
That sound again, no it can not be.....

Peggy, please the ceremony has already started. Everyone is waiting for you. Think of your children.

A stir ripples through the chamber, the shapeless form starts to contort to move.
Sahid, is that you.....her only response is the steady beating of ones own heart.

The pulse increase.
The beating gets louder.

Yes.
Its time follow me.

View user profile

17 Re: Steam Punk on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:49 pm

Were am I were is this place of eternal darkness and pain? Wait! Shhhh, I am not alone.

Did you hear that? Who is...

IN HONOR OF THOSE LOST WE ARE HOLDING A CEREMONY FOR THOSE WHO helped and guided us through the worst of times....

Shhhh....

Alone, I am.

A CAPTAIN AN HIS CREW JOURNEYED ONE MONTHS TIME to ......

how long has passed in this darkness, has it been a month? Why do you torture me so with these lies. Stop, Stop,

NO STOOOPP!!!!

The crowd gathers in shock, everyone stirrs to this sudden outburst.

A lone figure standing alone moves suddenly, the crow murmurs, they talk.

STOP THIS IS A LIE, EVERYTHING A LIE!!

Two, then three people fall suddenly as if in horror as this lone form charges out of the clear blue sky as if running towards the comfort of that solitary cold steel room, the darkness.

The darkness protects.

View user profile

18 Re: Steam Punk on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Woosh.....wooosh.....wooosh.....wooosh.....mommy?.....WOOSH..WOOSH.....Mom-WOOSH

Loneliness, nothingness. Is this my fate, what has become of me?

View user profile

19 Re: Steam Punk on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Sir, we have managed to retried all the cassette logs. Unfortunately many of the logs are damaged or unreadable. It appears hat the shortwave broadcast was pushed to its limit.

Good job. Are the designated tapes on my desk for further review?

Sir, yes they are and marked classified, for "your eyes only".

Call in Dr. Schwartzingrabbein (Dr. Grabbin) he will need to review these logs with me.

Sir?

Yes?

Can I speak frankly?

With a slow node the second continues to speak.

Why, I mean sir?!? He was our captain and how can this happen? why did he loos---

With a quick wave the second quickly quiets realizing that his boundaries were over stepped.

Call the Dr now, tell him to meet me in my office.

View user profile

20 Re: Steam Punk on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Captains Log....bzzbbzzzzlll....

STOP Fast forwarding the tapes, how can I give you my psychological review on the Captains state of mind when your driving me crazy with the the damned tape. STOP

Grabbin, its all the same. They get worse in the later logs.

Why did you really call me here if it not to review the tapes?

The two stare at each other for what seems to be an eternity, eyes locked, each daring the other to reveal its secrets...one twitches.

Ok, we have one.

WHAT, one what?

We have a survivor

View user profile

21 Re: Steam Punk on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 pm

This is turning into a very interesting prologue... shame that only me and Shoo are actually reading it.

-Nicolas Cage
View user profile

22 Re: Steam Punk on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:34 pm

I had the main character for the last two posts comments indented, to let you know that it was the same person in both, and the second was different. Just noticed that the indents did not compute.

On Friday I thought of one really cool plot twist and need to time it right. The scene needs a proper set up.

Honestly, I'm having a lot of fun posting these. If no one read them, I'd still post.

Thanks fort he feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Side note: This is a prologue to when the actual adventure starts.

View user profile

23 Re: Steam Punk on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Just realized that you mention it was a prologue, redundancy.

View user profile

24 Re: Steam Punk on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:19 pm

lol read before you type? i know i probably have to do the same. HEY EVERYBODY SHUT UP! lol

View user profile

25 Re: Steam Punk on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:39 pm

HA

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum